[ESS] Permanently set working directoty

Gregor Gorjanc gregor.gorjanc at bfro.uni-lj.si
Mon Aug 21 13:02:41 CEST 2006

> Stephen Eglen wrote:
>> Gregor Gorjanc writes:
>>  > Hello!
>>  >
>>  > Is it possible to permanently set working directory for R session in
>>  > ESS? I am a bit annoyed with question at R session start as I always
>>  > want to start in my home.
>>
>> hi,
>> try looking  at the doc for the following two variables:
>>   (setq ess-ask-for-ess-directory nil)
>>   (setq ess-directory nil)
>>
>> Stephen

Thank you Stephen. The following works for me.

Martin Maechler wrote:
> [...]

[snip]

> Very short answer:   Yes, RTFM!
>
> Longer answer:
>
>  Yes it is easily possible, and we have documented it.
>
>  How much have you tried to find the answer in the ESS manual?
>  [This question is not rethoric:  We have acknowledged that the
>   manual has been in a relatively bad shape several years ago.
>   OTOH, several of my ESS-core colleagues have spent many hours
>   on improving the ESS manual ... ]

Actually I have done some RTFM and found section "3.5 Changing the
startup actions", where this is described but I had problems since
manual says

"If you do not wish ESS to prompt for a starting directory when starting
a new process, set the variable `ess-ask-for-ess-directory' to `nil'.
In this case, the value of the variable `ess-directory' is used as the
starting directory.  The default value for this variable is your home
directory."

However, when I set the variable `ess-ask-for-ess-directory' to `nil' R
session starts in directory of last visited file. Say I have opened file
from "/some/where/on/my/disk" and when I fire M-x R, R starts in
"/some/where/on/my/disk" and not from my home directory. Did I do
anything wrong or is my reading of manual bad. However, as already noted
above manual setting of `ess-directory' variable solves this problem.
Perhaps manual should be modified according to this?

Thank you very much for providing such a great interface!

--
Lep pozdrav / With regards,
    Gregor Gorjanc

University of Ljubljana     PhD student
Biotechnical Faculty
Zootechnical Department     URI: http://www.bfro.uni-lj.si/MR/ggorjan
Groblje 3                   mail: gregor.gorjanc <at> bfro.uni-lj.si

SI-1230 Domzale             tel: +386 (0)1 72 17 861
Slovenia, Europe            fax: +386 (0)1 72 17 888