[ESS] R-2.3.0 crash

Robin Hankin r.hankin at noc.soton.ac.uk
Thu Apr 27 12:56:10 CEST 2006

Hi Stephen

On 27 Apr 2006, at 11:29, Stephen Eglen wrote:

> Thanks Robin; this seems odd.  Any other Mac users (David R?)
> get the same thing?
>
> I'm a little puzzled how it might be an ESS thing, maybe we are not
> setting the environment correctly for R to start.  But was this a
> problem with R-2.2.x series?

well I just downgraded to R-2.2.1, and made no other changes,
and everything worked fine.  Going back to R-2.3.0 and the crash
comes as before.

> Another way forward  is to debug the R process, which may take work.
> e.g. you will need to follow the instructions in the R FAQ for
> debugging R within ESS: (Sec 6.3 Debugging R from within Emacs)

well, running R-2.3.0  under gdb and typing X11("octopus:0.0")
gives me a nice X11 window!

>    If you have ESS, you can do `C-u M-x R <RET> - d <SPC> g d b <RET>'
> to start an inferior R process with arguments `-d gdb'.
>
>    A third option is to start an inferior R process via ESS (`M-x R')
> and then start GUD (`M-x gdb') giving the R binary (using its full
> path
> name) as the program to debug.  Use the program `ps' to find the
> process number of the currently running R process then use the
> `attach'
> command in gdb to attach it to that process.  One advantage of this
> method is that you have separate `*R*' and `*gud-gdb*' windows.
> Within
> the `*R*' window you have all the ESS facilities, such as object-name
> completion, that we know and love.

I couldn't quite get this to work, as gdb complained about my R binary
not being in executable format.  I'll have another go in a minute.