[ESS] file-name completion resolved under Xemacs

Jean Eid jeaneid at chass.utoronto.ca
Thu Sep 1 14:48:37 CEST 2005

Hi Martin, Stephen, and David

It was at the end an xemacs rather than  ESS problem. In particular the
compiled version of comint (comint.elc) in
/usr/share/xemacs21/xemacs-packages/lisp/xemacs-base/comint.elc

I downloaded the version comint.el from

http://tecfa.unige.ch/pub/software/unix/mud-clients/comint.el.emacs19

and poked around a bit in it. After some hours it seems that when I
byte-compile the file it just screws it up for some reason. However, if
instead I (load-file ...) it seems to work ok.

So maybe you can add this to the installation section of ESS README file.
just do not use (require ..) and use (load-file ..) after downloading it.

I do not know why the original comint.elc is having problems. But for now
this seems like the easiest solution.

Jean