[ESS] Xemacs again {was "file name completion again"}

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Sep 1 11:42:51 CEST 2005

Sorry but I have to voice this somewhere;
I'm again at a stage where I  **hate**  Xemacs :

On startup it ``kindly'' offers to migrate my ~/.emacs to
~/.xemacs/... --- which if I allowed it would completely break
my GNU emacs initialization.

Now that I told Xemacs *not* to migrate it, I found that it
``nicely'' edited my ~/.emacs
**REPLACING** all my carefully collected customized variables
and faces by the simple three lines

(custom-set-variables
 '(load-home-init-file t t))
(custom-set-faces)

I found out when my dealing with attachments in e-mails wasn't
behaving as it used, and other "funny" things happened
-----------> AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

	     (luckily I found a backup of ~/.emacs)

In such moments I'm close to proposing to drop all support for
Xemacs...   but luckily these moments pass ... so you Xemacs
lovers don't have to be afraid yet.

Martin