[ESS] Remote processes: interrupt R calculations

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 18:14:37 CEST 2005

I run R in a shell on a remote machine.

Sometimes I issue a long-running command, for example something that
would output millions of lines of data, but I'd just like to see a
few, or I simply made a mistake and need to cancel the operation.

However, sending a signal to the process (like with C-c C-c) will not
just send a ^C to the R process, but it will kill the whole
connection, i.e. terminate ssh and R with it, sending my workspace to
nirvana, so I can start from scratch. Especially when you're dealing
with big datasets, this is annoying.

How do I interrupt R on a remote machine from within ESS?