[ESS] SAS Batch Processing

Cameron Hooper chooper at umich.edu
Fri Oct 7 14:26:07 CEST 2005

On Oct 7, 2005, at 4:38 AM, Martin Maechler wrote:

>     Cameron> Hi Rodney
>
>     Cameron> I followed your suggestion. . ESS does not react to
>     Cameron> C-F8 or any C-FunctionKey.
>
> Could it be  that your installation of Emacs doesn't even *see*
> C-F8 ?

> What happens if you type
>
>  C-h k C-F8

What follows is rather long so here is a brief summary:

* Terminal-based versions of emacs (local and remote) do not recognize
C-F8.
* GUI-style versions of emacs (X-windows based, Aquamacs, and Emacs on
Aqua) do recognize C-F8 as running ess-sas-submit-region, but in all
cases, using both local and remote versions of emacs, C-F8 submits the
entire file, not the selected region.
* Using TRAMP introduces some new complications (described below), but
these don't seem to affect the basic "C-F8 submits entire file"
problem.

The details:

The remote, terminal-based version of emacs does not recognize C-F8. Ch
k gives "describe key:" but C-F8 does nothing. Further, the terminal
based version of emacs that ships with my mac also does not recognize
C-F8.

When I start an X-Windows session and use a gui-style emacs on the
remote machine (sorry, I'm not sure of the correct terminology) then
the key sequence gives:

<C-f8> runs the command ess-sas-submit-region
    which is an interactive Lisp function on `essa-sas'.
(ess-sas-submit-region)

Write region to temporary file, and submit to SAS.

So I opened a sas file in the gui-emacs and tried to submit a region
using C-F8. The command ran, but the entire file was submitted, not
just the selected region. So C-F8 and F8 seem to be equivalent (at
least for me). The shell output was:

cd "/home/usr07/chooper/projects/survival/src"
nohup nice +6 sas ess-temp -rsasuser &
[RC1]> [RC1]> [1] 6710
[RC1]>

([RC1]> is my prompt).

So next I decided to try a gui-style of emacs on my local machine, open
a file on the remote machine (using TRAMP) and try C-F8. I have two
versions of emacs (Aquamacs and Emacs on Aqua). Both recognize C-F8 as
running the ess-sas-submit-region command.(hmmm, is this a terminal vs
gui issue?) I used TRAMP (I can't use Ange-FTP), opened a SAS file,
selected a region, and typed C-F8. Emacs switched to the Shell buffer
which displayed:

ssh chooper
ssh chooper
[~]$ cd
"/scp:chooper at rc.bus.umich.edu:/home/usr07/chooper/projects/survival/
src"
nohup nice sas ess-temp -rsasuser &
ssh: chooper: No address associated with nodename
[~]$ bash: cd
"/scp:chooper at rc.bus.umich.edu:/home/usr07/chooper/projects/survival/
src": No such file or directory
[~]$ [1] 1058
[~]$ sending output to nohup.out

Again, the entire file was submitted not just the selected region.
Clearly using TRAMP has introduced a new factor and the results from
the shell window reveal a new problem. However, the C-F8 problem
remains unchanged.

If you read this far, thanks for your patience.

Cameron