[ESS] Running sas remotely

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Thu Oct 6 16:49:15 CEST 2005

Cameron Hooper wrote:

>Hi
>
>Is it possible to use ESS to run SAS interactively on a remote machine?
>I use Mac OS X and must login to a UNIX box to run SAS. Can I run emacs
>on my local machine, use TRAMP to open a SAS file stored on the remote
>server, and run the SAS file interactively using the SAS engine on the
>remote server? Am I making sense?
>
>I suspect the answer is no, but section 10.4 of the manual (admittedly
>on batch not interactive processing) got me wondering...
>
>Thanks,
>
>Cameron

Hi Cameron:

I'm reading these in reverse order since I just got my email working again.
It looks like I answered the wrong question.  I think what you are looking
for is the undocumented command ess-sas-interactive.  Create a *shell*
buffer and log into the remote machine and then M-x ess-sas-interactive
Then you will see the .log file generated in the *iESS[SAS]* buffer.
Enter your commands at the end of the buffer and press return to send them.
You will see the .log echo your commands and you will see the .lst in
the same buffer as well.  This function was written as an experiment
and I haven't thought much about making it more user-friendly.

Thanks, Rodney