[ESS] Running sas remotely

Richard M. Heiberger rmh at temple.edu
Thu Oct 6 05:06:34 CEST 2005

Sorry,  I answered a different question than the one you had in mind.

There are two ways to do what you are asking.

One is consistent with the M-x SAS
on the remote machine.  Do your editing on the local machine and then save the file
to the remote.  Then go to the window running the remote emacs, open the file
in a buffer and start M-x SAS.  Every time you save from the local to the remote,
go the myfile.sas buffer on the remote and do a ess-revert-wisely.  Highlight
the region and send it over to the SAS with C-c C-r.

Personally I think this is awkward, as everytime I do it I start editing on the
wrong machine.

I think you might want to look at the alternate way of working with SAS from
ESS, using the ESS(SAS)--Batch SAS Processes.  You can submit a region of a .sas
buffer and you can append the results of that step to the .log and .lst buffers.
This can be done with the SAS process on the same or on another machine.
This interaction behavior is designed to be similar to the SAS Display Manager.
You can map the function keys to the ones your fingers may already have learned
from the SAS Display Manager.

Let us know if this does what you are looking for.

Rich