[ESS] Getting SAS to start

Richard M. Heiberger rmh at temple.edu
Wed Oct 5 15:05:38 CEST 2005

Cameron Hooper raises a real issue and Martin's response points out
a need to rethink the relevant piece of ESS code.

The statement Cameron refers to is in help-sas.texi line 610, which
got there from the now obolete README.SAS line 469.

The ESS referent is essd-sas.el line 151.  I don't think it is currently
possible to fix that by changing any of the ESS lisp variables.

When we run M-x SAS it is necessary to start SAS through the file
ess/etc/ess-sas-sh-command in order to do the redirection and get the log
and lst into emacs buffers.

I think the right fix for M-X SAS is to dealias the computer center's sas script or
move the real sas executable's directory earlier in the PATH than the directory
containing the sas script.  I need some comment from active Unix users on the
best strategy for accomplishing that.