[ESS] "foreign" languages in R and ESS

Paul Johnson pauljohn at ku.edu
Sat Nov 19 20:42:21 CET 2005

In R-2.2 supports Unicode characters. I'm not an multilingual, but I
work with a colleague who is and we want to put some foreign symbols in
an R picture.

In Emacs I configure with the pull down menu Options/MULE and I use "Set
Language Environment" to set UTF-8 and then the input method is selected
there, either the default or cyrillic-ukrainian.

Here is an R program that tries to use the cyrillic in the title of a plot:

x <- rnorm(100)
y <- rnorm(100)
plot(x,y,main="руссианЎ")

The Cyrillic shows in Emacs and it shows in my email program
(thunderbird), however, when I run it through R, the plot title is in
English, reading 'b'e'c'c'Z'Z'_

Before I ask in the R list, I figured I should as here in ESS because I
figure there's a pretty good chance that there's some slippage between
Emacs and ESS where MULE is concerned. ?

I'm running Fedora Core 4 with Emacs
emacs-ess-5.2.10
emacs-21.4-5

My system LANG variable is