[ESS] Re: comint-delete-output including prompt

Sebastian Luque spluque at gmail.com
Wed May 25 19:48:11 CEST 2005

Hi Martin,

On 5/25/05, Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch> wrote:

[...]

> Namely, in fact you are asking for a new feature:
> normally, in a *iESS* buffer, C-c C-o
> nicely cleans away a longish output,
> replacing it by the single line
> *** output flushed ***
> still leaving the prompt and the command {i.e. function call !}
> in place.
> And the "problem" I think Sebastian is having,
> is that C-c C-o only applies to the very last command and its
> output. If you enter another command ``by accident'' and only
> than want to delete the very long output from the 2nd-to-last
> command, you can't do this very easily anymore, at least not
> with C-c C-o.

Exactly! You put it a lot better than I did. The reason I asked is
that I often type some commands to check a few things now and then,
but I don't really care to keep the command *or* its output. So I
wanted to find an easy way to remove both from the face of the Earth
(well, sort of, because I'd still want to access the command through
the history). It just helps to keep the iESS buffer as tidy as
possible because I tend to experiment in it first and then write the
good code elsewhere.

Thanks a lot to both of you for your suggestions!

Sebastian