[ESS] ESS under cygwin

Richard M. Heiberger rmh at temple.edu
Sun May 15 23:03:35 CEST 2005

> I am trying to start ESS under cygwin (which works on windows).
> Emacs opens and tries to read .emacs which is:

You are doing it backwards from the way I normally combine emacs and cygwin.

I start emacs from the icon (or equivalent).  Then I run the cygwin shell inside emacs.

You will need at least the following lines in your site-start.el

(make-local-variable 'where)
(setq where (file-name-directory
	     (file-truename (concat load-file-name "/../../.."))))
;;; shell on win95 to bash
;;; shell on windows to bash
(make-local-variable 'cygwin)
(make-local-variable 'cygwin-bin)
(make-local-variable 'cygwin-bash)
(setq cygwin (concat where "cygwin"))
(setq cygwin-bin (concat cygwin "/bin"))
(setq cygwin-bash (concat cygwin-bin "/bash.exe"))
(setenv "COMSPEC" cygwin-bash)
(setenv "SHELL" cygwin-bash)
(setq shell-file-name cygwin-bash)

This assumes that cygwin is located at
c:\cygwin\
and that emacs is at
c:\emacs\emacs-21.3\

With this arrangement, M-x shell starts a bash shell inside the *shell* buffer.

Rich