[ESS] ESS and setting Language for R

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Jun 30 08:30:50 CEST 2005

    MaSu> Is there a possibility, during installation for
    MaSu> instance, to set the language of R to english
    MaSu> independent of the OS language ?

not trivially, I think, but didn't try much.

Some people here (ETH Zurich) also prefer the English to the
German (for computing) but we are setting their whole
environment to English  (via "locale" setting) -- via Login
scripts.

    MaSu> Thank you very much, Marcel

    MaSu> ESS version: 5.1.24
	               ^^^^^^
now this is __DEFINITELY__ very old.
The current version is 5.2.8  and you definitely need it
as soon as you use UTF-8 encoding locale setting -- which is
nowadays default in most Linux environments AFAIK.

    MaSu> R version: platform i686-pc-linux-gnu arch i686 os
    MaSu> linux-gnu system i686, linux-gnu status major 2 minor
    MaSu> 1.0 year 2005 month 04 day 18 language R

    MaSu> -- Marcel Sutter PMOD/WRC Dorfstrasse 33 CH-7260 Davos
    MaSu> Dorf Switzerland

    MaSu> Tel:+41 (0) 81 417 51 39 http://www.pmodwrc.ch

Mit lieben Grüssen aus Zürich:
Martin Mächler