[ESS] SAS-mode problem with asterisk (infinite loop)

Jim Berry jberry at frb.gov
Thu Jun 16 23:09:34 CEST 2005

Something weird to report for the SAS-mode maintainers.

Using ess-version 5.1.24
GNU Emacs 21.3.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)

If a file in sas-mode begins with whitespace, followed by an asterisk,
followed by anything, followed by a semi colon, then hitting RET after
the semicolon will cause a stall, and one needs to hit ^G.  Curiously
enough the problem disappears if we remove the leading whitespace.

This should demonstrate the issue:

(progn
 (switch-to-buffer (create-file-buffer "junk.sas"))
 (sas-mode)
 (insert " * Hit Enter after the semicolon. Then ^G to break; "))

We can avoid this construction, but thought you'd like to know.

--
Jim Berry
Federal Reserve Board