[ESS] history and completion problems

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Jul 29 12:37:26 CEST 2005

    Paul> Hi, Thanks for getting back to me.

    >> For #2 -- probably best to use the comint history
    >> commands.
    >>
    >> ESC-p and ESC-M-p to cycle through history and history
    >> restricted to prefix (I'm going from memory, so the
    >> keymappings might be wrong).

    Paul> these ones work but the ! prefix commands are more
    Paul> convenient.

    Paul> For #1, I realized that my description of the problem
    Paul> is unclear. It is the completion in the minibuffer
    Paul> that does not work, i.e., the completion of the object
    Paul> name to dump. The R objects I work with have complex
    Paul> names and having to write them out is tedious and
    Paul> error prone.

If completion works for "newly created" or "newly loaded"
objects depends:

If you enter something like   library(.) or attach(.) in the *R*
buffer yourself, ESS should "re-sync" , i.e., re-compute the
list of known object names auto magically.
OTOH, if you, e.g., work in an *.R buffer and use "C-c C-n" to
send commands linewise to the *R* process, and send a library(..) command,
ESS does not recognize and does not ``auto - re -sync''.

HOWEVER,
the [iESS] menu {belonging to the *R* buffer} has as 2nd entry
  "Resynch S completions"
with which you can let it recomput the list, and then you will
able to use completion, in dump or help or ...
BTW:   M-x ess-resynch  is slightly faster than the menu if your
			finger are on the keyboard

Regards,
Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich