[ESS] ESS + Gnu Emacs on OS X questions

Stephen Eglen S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Sat Jan 22 12:31:29 CET 2005

hi Seth,

 > I'm not able to use the feature where you hit C-c RET in an ESS (R)
 > buffer and get the current line moved to the prompt at the bottom of
 > the buffer so you can edit it.
 >
 > This works for me on Linux, but not on OS X.  I get an error message
 > like so:
 >
 > comint-insert-input must be bound to an event with parameters
 >
 > This was happening with the prior ESS release as well as the recently
 > released code.

I see the same error on Linux as you do on Mac; not sure why you don't
see the error on Linux -- are you using Emacs 21.3.50 on your linux
machine too?

C-c RET in *R* buffersis bound to `comint-insert-input' and is not
part of ESS from what I can see. I get the same error when
using this command in M-x shell.  Looks like this is a bug in CVS
emacs.  Will investigate.

 > (2)
 > The first time I load an Sweave type file after starting emacs, I see
 > messages like the following:
 >
 > In a buffer called *Compile-Log*:
 > Warning: `error' called with 1 args to fill 0 format field(s)
 > Warning: `error' called with 1 args to fill 0 format field(s)
 > Warning: `error' called with 1 args to fill 0 format field(s)
 >
 > Can someone give me a pointer about tracking down what this is about?
 > I notice that I get the same messages when I first load a *.R file as
 > well.

Sorry, not sure what the *Compile-Log* buffer is created by -- does
this occur only on mac too, or also on linux?

Stephen