[ESS] problem with file extension recognition

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Feb 11 09:13:58 CET 2005

    Jack> I'm using GNU emacs 20.4.1 and ESSS 5.2.5 and ESS
    Jack> automatically recognizes any .lst file as a SAS
    Jack> listing, and makes the buffer read only.
    Jack> Unfortunately, most of the .lst files I edit are
    Jack> Oracls sql-plus spool files.  Is there an easy way to
    Jack> get ESS to not mark a .lst file read only unless it
    Jack> specifically opens it as the listing from a .sas file?
    Jack> (I've tried some other versions of emacs and also
    Jack> xemacs, and the behavior is identical.)  I know I can
    Jack> toggle the 'read-only' attribute, but I'd rather not
    Jack> need to.

Do you need SAS mode at all?
If not, edit your copy of
 ess-site.el  (and make sure there's no older version of
 ess-site.elc )

by replacing lines 430-431

  (ess-message "[ess-site:] require 'essd-sas ...")
  (require 'essd-sas)

by

  ;;N This changes ".lst" extension auto-mode:
  ;;N (ess-message "[ess-site:] require 'essd-sas ...")
  ;;N (require 'essd-sas)

If you use ESS for SAS, the solution is to modify
essl-sas.el  (in a different way) but let's hope you don't need
SAS anyway...

Regards,
Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich