[ESS] file completion anyone has it working? - yes

Sebastian Luque sluque at mun.ca
Thu Feb 3 20:03:31 CET 2005

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 09:46:08 +0100, Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch> wrote:

[...]

> The  milliseconds spent "sleep"ing when the completion list is
> computed for S-plus shouldn't be spent at all when using R.

Sorry about this. I discovered that the object name completion issue in the *R* buffer may not
be at all related to ess, but to my choice of displaying the *Completions*
buffer in a special frame. My setup of special-display-regexps et al is
probably wrong.

> E.g. in a *R*  buffer, for me {with Liunx; same GNU emacs},
>
>   - object name completion works on [Tab]   whereas
>   - file   name completion works on M-[Tab] always,
>     and also works on [Tab] in obvious situtations, e.g.,
>     when trying to complete "/usr/" or "/home/"
>
> in a *.R buffer,
>
>   - [Tab]     is for indentation
>   - M-[Tab]   is for file name completion
> 	       {as in *R* --> use M-[Tab] for file names "always"}
>   - C-c [Tab] is for object name completion
>
> in the mini buffer, it depends on the context,
> [Tab] should always be used for the obvious.
> (e.g. object name completion after
> C-c C-v (help) or C-c C-d (dump object)

These are I guess all the nuances I've been missing all this time on
object/file name completion. All this time I was used to just hitting [Tab]
and ess was doing what I expected (maybe out of mere luck)! That being said,
file name completion is actually fine in my system.

--
Best wishes,
Sebastian