[ESS] file name completion under R

Jean Eid jeaneid at chass.utoronto.ca
Tue Feb 1 15:06:39 CET 2005

I do not know whether or not this has been working under any other mode.
but under R-mode this hasn't been working for me for at least couple of
years on different version of xemacs, emacs  and ESS.
The message I get from "tab" is
"Wrong type argument: stringp, nil"

I have put the following in my init.el file

(global-set-key [(shift tab)]  'comint-dynamic-complete-filename)

Now pressing shift tab does work, However I am looking for a way to
improve this.

a) I want when pressing shift tab alone with no character after the
quote (" [shift tab]) to show all files in that directory (directory listing)

b) everytime I setwd() in the R buffer, comint-dynamic-complete-filename
is kept relative to  the original directory where xemacs was
envoked rather than the new directory. Is there a way to do  this?

I guess these two questions can be answered by just fixing ESS M-tab
function.  If someonw can give me a clue why I get the above error message
maybe I can try and fix it.

Thank you

Jean