[ESS] starting R with options

Richard M. Heiberger rmh at temple.edu
Fri Dec 16 22:42:15 CET 2005

typo in my previous response.  Here is the correction.

> Oh, on Windows the naming convention is usually rwsomething, but I think
> they both will work.  YMMV

R 2.2.0 started using the R-* convention for Windows versions.
Previous releases of R used the rw* naming convention.  Unix releases
use the R-* convention.

The current cvs release of ESS and the not-yet-released 5.2.12
will automatically find both name conventions on windows.
If you invent your own name, don't use  the name "R-patched" as
that is a standard name used by the R developers.  Use something with
your initials like, for me, R-2.2.0-rmh.  On Windows, place the bat file
in your R home directory, which defaults to the c:/Progra~1/R/ directory.
On Unix place it somewhere in your PATH.