[ESS] starting R with options

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Fri Dec 16 22:06:23 CET 2005

Vincent Goulet wrote:

>Hi,
>
>As per the ESS documentation, section 6.2:
>
>=====
>Note that R has some extremely useful command line arguments. For example,
>--vanilla will ensure R starts up without loading in any init files. To enter
>a command line argument, call R using a "prefix argument", by
>
>C-u M-x R
>
>and when ESS prompts for "Starting Args ? ", enter (for example):
>
>--vanilla
>
>Then that R process will be started up using R --vanilla. If you wish to
>always call R with certain arguments, set the variable inferior-R-args
>accordingly.
>=====
>
>This is fairly common usage in Emacs, by the way.
>
>HTH

That made me think of another common way to do it.  Create a shell script
in your PATH that calls R with command line options that you want and
name it
R-something like R-patched and then follow
the menus:  ESS->Start Process->Other->R-patched

Oh, on Windows the naming convention is usually rwsomething, but I think
they both will work.  YMMV

Happy Holidays,

Rodney