[ESS] file name completion again

david whiting david.r.whiting at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 22:57:58 CEST 2005

Hmmmm, ok. I reinstalled xemacs and got ESS out of the subversion
repository. I then started xemacs with:

xemacs --vanilla &

and in the *scratch* buffer I loaded ess-site.el. No problems. I then started R:

M-x R

and selected a working directory that has a subdirectory with an R
data file. In ESS/R I then did:

load("R-data/

and pressed tab to complete the file name and got the "last thing
matched was not a buffer" message.

Oooooh, this is interesting . . . xemacs has a right mouse menu (you
learn something new every day). OK, with the pop-up menu if I click on
"Complete -> Complete File name" it works okay. So, the response is
different depending on whether I use TAB or the mouse.  Does that
help?

When I installed xemacs I just selected xemacs and let synaptic choose
what else to install. It installed:

xemacs21 (21.4.17-1)
xemacs21-basesupport-el (2004.08.18-2)
xemacs21-bin (21.4.17-1)
xemacs21-mule (21.4.17-1)
xemacs21-mulesupport  (2004.08.18-2)
xemacs21-support (21.4.17-1)

R 2.1.1
> version
         _
platform i686-pc-linux-gnu
arch     i686
os       linux-gnu
system   i686, linux-gnu
status
major    2
minor    1.1
year     2005
month    06
day      20
language R

ESS from subversion so it should be the same as what you have? I
installed ESS in ~/tmp/ess.

OS: Ubuntu 5.04

Anything else we can compare?

Dave.