[ESS] Saving R files

Göran Broström gb at stat.umu.se
Wed Aug 31 14:45:11 CEST 2005

On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 11:59:34AM +0200, Martin Maechler wrote:

>     GB> I have used ESS just for editing R source code for a long time, with
>     GB> great pleasure. I install and upgrade ess via apt-get on my debian system.
>     GB> After the latest upgrades I can suddenly not save buffers the usual way
>     GB> by C-x C-s. Nothing happens, simply. If I try to quit, C-x C-c, I get the
>     GB> question if I want to save....; I answer yes and get the reply "Modified
>     GB> buffers...." It ends with me quitting, without being able to save the file.
>     GB> I rename it so I can edit in non-ess mode, which is boring, but works.
>
> I know that there are quite a few users who get ess as  Debian
> (or Ubuntu) package.  I've done so myself (but usually rather
> want to use the "developers" version) without any problem.
>
>     GB> Can someone tell me what is going on?
>
> not yet..  Are you sure it's related to ESS at all?

Only because if I change the file extension to .u (say), then the problem
disappears, and, if I remove
;;; ESS
     (add-hook 'ess-mode-hook
               (lambda ()
                 (ess-set-style 'C++)
                 (add-hook 'local-write-file-hooks
                           (lambda ()
                             (ess-nuke-trailing-whitespace)))))
     (setq ess-nuke-trailing-whitespace-p 'ask)
     (add-hook 'perl-mode-hook
               (lambda () (setq perl-indent-level 4)))
from .emacs, it also disappear. I now realize that this only should be used in
emacs-20, and I am using emacs-21 (I got that from "Writing R extensions").

Interestingly, at work I get

'Query replacing[     ]+$ with : (? for help)'

(what the $!# is that?:-)

when I try to save, and at home the symptoms I described before.

So the solution to my problem seems to be to remove that code from .emacs,
right?

> Do you have the same problems when starting emacs as
>    "emacs -q"

No (at work).

> Finally, what does
>    C-h v ess-version

5.2.6 (still at work). (I'm using debian stable at work and unstable home).

Thanks,

Göran