[ESS] Cannot open load file: ess-emcs

Kevin Murphy murphyk at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 05:42:37 CEST 2005

Ahh, I got it to work. The problem was not to do with using 5.2.0, but
because I loaded the wrong version of ess-site.el.

Specifically, following the instuctions in
   http://socserv.mcmaster.ca/jfox/Books/Companion/ESS/
I downloaded his ess-site.el and put it in
   C:\Program Files\XEmacs\xemacs-packages\lisp\ess
and then added this line to my ~/.xemacs/init.el
  (load "C:/Program Files/XEmacs/xemacs-packages/lisp/ess/ess-site")
This failed as I explained in my last email.

However, I eventually discovered in comment 4 of the README file this remark:

"Windows users will usually be able to use the `lisp/ess-site.el'
     as distributed.  Only rarely will changes be needed"

This told me where the original ess-site.el file was.
So I changed my init.el file to read
   (load "C:/Program
Files/XEmacs/xemacs-packages/lisp/ess/ess-5.2.9/lisp/ess-site")
and it started working.

I have to say that I found the installation instructions amazingly opaque.
So I will  put my own insturcitons for my students at
  http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~murphyk/Software/ESS.html

Kevin