[ESS] Turning off ess-smart-underscore

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed Aug 24 16:48:37 CEST 2005

Typing "_" twice gives you the "_" litteral when you use it.
Note that I --- as a fervent promoter of using  " <- "  for assignment ---
would advise everyone to keep the smart undercore and get in the
habit of quickly pressing it twice when you need it litterally
--- something which is much less frequent for me than needing
assignment.

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich

    >> The readme <http://ess.r-project.org/Manual/readme.html> says that I =
    >> should be able to turn this off using (ess-smart-underscore nil) in my =
    >> .emacs file. However, I get this error:
    >> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-number-of-arguments #[nil =

    StEgl> thanks for the report -- there is a mistake (probably made by me,
    StEgl> sorry) in the docs; it should be:

    StEgl> (ess-toggle-underscore nil)

    StEgl> Thanks, Stephen