[ESS] question about ESS

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue Aug 23 08:43:46 CEST 2005

    Guohua> Hello, I installed XEmacs(full package which
    Guohua> contains the ESS) on my personal computer. When I
    Guohua> open and edit a C file, the syntactic indentation
    Guohua> and highlighting of source code works well. However,
    Guohua> when I try to edit a S-Plus file, this kind of
    Guohua> funtion doesn't show up. I don't know what I should
    Guohua> do in order to get those function, can you give me
    Guohua> some detailed instructions?

Emacs uses file extensions to determine the programming mode.
Does your file end in

     .q   or   .S  or .ssc

??
If not, you have to manually turn on S-mode, e.g., by
   M-x S-mode

but really, I'd strongly recommend to use  <fname>.S  for S
source files and  <fname>.R  for R ones.

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich