[ESS] pop-up-frames and opening windows

Stephen Eglen S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Sat Aug 20 14:13:37 CEST 2005

 > After a bit more investigation: I'm sorry, I forgot to tell you to
 > take out *info* from same-window-regexps. So you need to do
 >

 > (remove-hook 'same-window-regexps "\\*info\\*\\(\\|<[0-9]+>\\)")
 > (setq pop-up-frames t)
 > (require 'info)
 > (Info-goto-node "(emacs)Copying")

Right, now I see the same behaviour that you report --
same-window-regexps normally stops *info* appearing in a new window.

 > So what happens seems to be: you split the window, then you assume
 > that Info-goto-node shows the info node in the (selected) window.
 > Instead, it'll open a new frame in my configuration.
 >
 > A solution might be to leave it up to the user's general Emacs
 > configuration whether to show info buffers in a new window (or frame)
 > and just call the appropriate info function (I think, just (info ...)
 > instead of the lower-level Info-goto-node).

Do you mean we should just have:

(defun ess-goto-info (node)
   "Display node NODE from ess-mode info."
   (require 'info)
   (info (concat "(ess)" node)))

?

That (obviously) will not split the window before showing ess.

Stephen