[ESS] ess installation on Windows [forwarded]

Zachary Skrivanek zskrivan at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 11 22:48:17 CEST 2005

Paul,

Hi!  I edited the PATH per instructions from another website and when I tried to launch Splus used 'M-x Sqpe' (instead of 'M-x S', for which I still get the same error message as I shared with you before) I get a much more promising message.  It looked like it was going to launch Splus; it asked for a starting data directory.  (See attached.)  But when I hit 'enter' I got the message "Spawning child process:  invalid argument".  Do you know what this means and how to get around it?

Sincerely,
Zak

Zachary Skrivanek <zskrivan at yahoo.com> wrote:
Paul,

Hi!  Thanks for your response.  Unfortunately these instructions don't work either.  They appear to be outdated referring to older versions of emacs and ess.  I followed the instructions exactly, using the older versions even.  But to no avail.  I am using Splus 6 and perhaps that is the problem.  Your instructions refer to R.

Attached is the error message I get when I try to go into "s-mode" within emacs.  Perhaps if these instructions stated how to add 'splus61\cmd' to my 'exec-path' or exactly how to assign a path name to 'inferior-S+6-program-name' in my .emacs file I could figure it out.  But I would also have to know how to create a .emacs file since I get an error message from windows whenever I try to create a .* file.  I assume that _emacs would suffice, but this is an assumption.  (And I did create _emacs and again it didn't work.)

None of the instructions that I have found on the internet are correct.  I have spent 10+ hours going over both the instructions that you gave me and the instructions from other sources including the instructions from the website referred to in these instructions.  This website referred to has changed by the way and is now at:  http://stat.ethz.ch/ESS/Manual/readme.html#Installation

 Would you be able to refer me to someone who knows how to install ess for emacs on an XP machine with Splus6?  The available instructions are inaccurate or not expicit enough.  I have some very specific questions.  If I could get answers to them I should be able to install this software.  The questions are imbedded in this e-mail, depending on the instructions one is following.

Sincerely,
Zak

Paul Johnson <pauljohn at ku.edu> wrote:
I have to agree with you that the install instructions are oblique and
somewhat puzzling for new users. I worked on the idiot proof install
guide at one time. The process can really be simple if you get it right.
Right before ESS was relocated to its new web pages, it was situated
in a Wiki Web site where Tony Rossini had touched up my instructions.

I can't find that now, but I can find the last piece of the email thread
in the ESS archive

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/ess-help/2004-April/001830.html