[ESS] help files with R

Sundar Dorai-Raj sundar.dorai-raj at pdf.com
Tue Aug 2 16:20:20 CEST 2005

Hi,

This one has got me stumped, but I believe it's an ESS issue. Try the
following:

1. Start R
M-x R
2. create the following function
consolidateHelp <- function(package = NULL) { package }
3. execute the function
    > consolidateHelp("lm")
    This opens a new frame with the help file for ?lm.
4. Now change the name to
helpConsolidate <- function(package = NULL) { package }
5. execute the function
    > consolidateHelp("lm")
    [1] "lm"

The consildateHelp function creates the following two lines in the ESS
buffer:

(ess-setq-vars-LOCAL): language=S, dialect=R, buf=nil,
comint..echoes=nil, comint..sender=comint-simple-send
(ess-help-bogus-buffer-p *help[R](lm)*) |--> nil [searching t]

Any clues?

version info:
R-2.1.1pat
Windows XP
ess 5.2.8
Xemacs 21.4 (patch 13)

I also tested this on Linux using ess 5.2.4 (haven't upgraded yet) with
the same problem. Also, this is not an issue in either rterm or rgui.

BTW, for now, I'll just change the name of the function.

Thanks,

--sundar