[ESS] emacs freezing on computationally intensive commands

Kasper Daniel Hansen k.hansen at biostat.ku.dk
Tue Apr 19 19:10:36 CEST 2005

If you press C-g Emacs will "unfreeze" so you can go on editing in
another buffer. Note that the R process is still occupied, so you
cannot use the help function while editing (you will get an
error/warning like "Waiting for ESS(R)"). But C-g will solve most of
your problems.

Kasper

On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 05:18:02PM +0200, Henning Redestig wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I in my R-buffer call a function that takes long time to finish my
> Emacs freezes up until that command is finished. I thought that was
> natural until I realized that if the first thing that the R function
> does is outputting something to my R-buffer say: cat("Starting
> function\n") then this causes Emacs to wake up again, being usable while
> the R process finishes off in the background.
>
> Is there are a way to achieve the same thing except the silly approach
> of putting such a line in the top of all functions?
>
> I use Emacs 21.3.1, ESS 5.2.5, R-2.0.1 on Fedora
>
> Cheers for any help on this..
>
> /Henning

Kasper Daniel Hansen, Research Assistant
Department of Biostatistics, University of Copenhagen