[ESS] automatic breaking of long lines in *.R buffer

Dan Davison davison at uchicago.edu
Mon Apr 11 23:38:50 CEST 2005

After apt-get upgrade ing my debian sarge system last night the behaviour
of long lines in a buffer displaying a *.R file has changed undesirably:
if I try to add a space at the end of a line that has got to 70 characters
long, the cursor (and the preceding word) jump down to the next line. It's
quite annoying and results in illegal code if you're in the middle of a
comment.

This doesn't happen in a *.txt buffer, nor in the buffer with the R
process. Therefore I thought maybe I was justified in seeking help here. I
tried toggling options->display->wrap long lines but with no apparent
effect. I didn't come across any hopeful sounding M-x variable names to
change, but I bet this is not a difficult problem to solve...

I have to admit I'm not sure which of ess / XEmacs actually were upgraded,
nor do I know how to find out.

Thanks a lot,

Dan

debian [sarge] linux
ess 5.2.6
XEmacs 21.4 (patch 17) "Jumbo Shrimp" [Lucid] (i386-debian-linux, Mule) of
Tue Feb  8 2005 on penell