[ESS] mailing list subject prefix

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Oct 15 09:40:52 CEST 2004

    PaCo> On Mon, 11-Oct-2004 at 04:26PM +0200, Martin Maechler wrote:
    PaCo> |> >>>>> "ChrisH" == Christian Hennig <fm3a004 at math.uni-hamburg.de>
    PaCo> |> >>>>>     on Mon, 4 Oct 2004 10:41:24 +0200 (MEST) writes:
    PaCo> |>
    PaCo> |>     ChrisH> Dear maintainers and members of the ESS-help mailing list,
    PaCo> |>
    PaCo> |>     ChrisH> would it be possible to configure the mailing list
    PaCo> |>     ChrisH> so that all subject headers start automatically with
    PaCo> |>     ChrisH> [ESS] (analogously to the R mailing list)?
    PaCo> |>
    PaCo> |> yes, it would be possible...
    PaCo> |>
    PaCo> |>     ChrisH> Are there any argumante against it?
    PaCo> |>
    PaCo> |> yes, there are a quite a few..
    PaCo> |> but if nobody raises them during the next few days,
    PaCo> |> I'd be inclined to fulfill your wish...

    PaCo> Call me ignorant, but I like the idea.  I prefer to have mail
    PaCo> delivered to one box and I save from that one to where I keep it.
    PaCo> Having an '[R]' at the beginning helps to keep all those threads
    PaCo> together and it would be great to have '[ESS]' also distinguished.

that makes a 2nd "pro" vote (and I got another one privately) from
someone definitely not ignorant either... and I didn't receive
any "contra" ones.

 --> I've done it now.   This message (where I 've explicitly
     set the subject to "mailing list subject prefix" should already
     have an autogenerated "[ESS]" prefix.

Martin Maechler,  ETH Zurich