[ESS] Avoiding printing large R objects

Richard M. Heiberger rmh at temple.edu
Mon Nov 22 04:02:30 CET 2004

> The way I most frequently cause an undesired termination of my emacs/ESS/R
> session is by accidentally printing a very big object. ESS seems to get
> quite unhappy, presumably trying to keep up with the colour highlighting
> etc. I usually kill the processes (R and xemacs) manually.

What does "unhappy" look like?

Does xemacs terminate by itself?  Or is always manual by you?

Is it necessary to kill both xemacs and R?  I would have thought that
killing just R would be sufficient.  The value of killing just R, and
keeping the xemacs is that the *R* buffer would still be there.

What is the value of the emacs variable:
  font-lock-maximum-size

Rich