is it possible to display plots in an emacs buffer?

Na Li nali at umn.edu
Mon May 24 16:51:36 CEST 2004

On 24 May 2004, Andrew Robinson verbalised:

> I have that problem too.
>
> My solution is to save the results of expensive computation as
> binary objects, and read them unless you need them recalculated.
>
> The recalculation can be controlled by flags and if statements.
>
> Andrew
>
> On Mon, 24 May 2004, Na Li wrote:
>
> > On 24 May 2004, Damon Wischik stated:
> >
> > > I used to use Mathematica, before I came to R. Mathematica has a
> > > strange mixture of the elegant and the foul. One thing I liked very
> > > much is its "mathematical document" idea: a document which
> > > intersperses input and output.
> >
> > I like the idea too.  In term of the Sweave approach, it is very
> > inefficient to re-evaluate some expensive computation every time a
> > conversion from Rnw to tex is made.  It would be nice to have the R
> > text output inside the Rnw buffer and the reevaluation should only be
> > done when asked. I can live without the graphics for the moment.

In light of that, it might be useful to have

\include{expensive}

in an Rnw file, If expensive.tex is available, it is included without any
re-evaluation, otherwise, include expensive.Rnw and sweave it as usual.

I suppose it is possible right now to use a Makefile for it.

Michael