Behavior of C-c C-n

Stephen Eglen stephen at anc.ed.ac.uk
Tue May 18 16:28:03 CEST 2004

To follow up on my previous email, I've taken a look at this code and
think that the following patch to ess-inf.el should fix things.

At least this is my understanding of the bug, based also on earlier
helpful reports by Robin Hankin when using `l' to send lines from help
files.

When sending lines of code from R using C-c C-n, if the cursor in the
*R* buffer is already at the end of the buffer, the output from
sending the command will be seen.  If however before sending a line of
code to R, you move the cursor in *R* say to the start of the *R*
buffer, the cursor will stay there after sending the line.

If that describes the new buggy behaviour, then this patch should fix
it, irrespective of the value of inferior-ess-own-frame.  In this
patch, after sending a line using C-c C-n, the cursor in the *R*
buffer is put at the end of the buffer.

*** /tmp/ess-inf.el.~5.88~	Tue May 18 15:22:36 2004
--- /tmp/ess-inf.el	Tue May 18 15:22:36 2004
***************
*** 944,951 ****
  		 (not (looking-at inferior-ess-prompt))))))
      (goto-char (marker-position (process-mark sprocess)))
      (if eob
! 	;; SJE: not sure about (goto-char (point-max)) removed here.
! 	(ess-show-buffer (buffer-name sbuffer) nil))
      (set-buffer cbuffer)
      ))

--- 944,954 ----
  		 (not (looking-at inferior-ess-prompt))))))
      (goto-char (marker-position (process-mark sprocess)))
      (if eob
! 	(progn
! 	  (save-excursion
! 	    (set-buffer sbuffer)
! 	    (goto-char (point-max)))
! 	  (ess-show-buffer (buffer-name sbuffer) nil)))
      (set-buffer cbuffer)
      ))

If you can't get the patch to work, grab a temporary version of
ess-inf.el from:
http://www.anc.ed.ac.uk/~stephen/emacs/ess-inf.el

Thanks again for the feedback.

Stephen