Can somebody test the ess-emacs RPM for me?

Paul Johnson pauljohn at ku.edu
Tue May 11 06:31:28 CEST 2004

Dear ESS users:

I've built RPMS for Emacs users who have Fedora Core 1 Linux systems.

http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/software/favoriteEmacsFiles/ess-emacs-5.2.0-1Fdr1.i386.rpm

These are only slightly updated from the RPMs I was distributing for
5.2.0beta3 and after.  These work fine for me, but I wish somebody with
a separate system would test.

There is one significant thing to tell you.  This package drops in a
site-wide initializiation file in
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d called

ess-init.el

and it activates ESS when Emacs starts and also turns on these super new
features that were recently added to ESS.  These work great and
massively enhance the pleasure of the experience for me.  The R session
stays in its own frame, and help buffers open their own frames.  Its
beautiful!

I have had to give up my long-loved cua-mode in order to use ESS because
of conflict over the use of C-c between the two, but I can't live
without pc-selection-mode, so it turns that on too.

If you don't like these things, comment them out with semicolons!

Here's what ess-init.el says:

(require 'pc-select)
(pc-selection-mode)

(load "../ess/lisp/ess-site")

(setq inferior-ess-own-frame t)

;;create a new fram for each help instance

(setq ess-help-own-frame t)
;;If you want all help
;; buffers to go into one frame do:

;; (setq ess-help-own-frame 'one)

Look! I found my stinking signature:
--
Paul E. Johnson                       email: pauljohn_at_ku.edu
1541 Lilac Lane, Rm 504