ess bets mismanages help output?

Paul Johnson pauljohn at ku.edu
Fri Mar 19 16:23:07 CET 2004

You've been so responsive that I hate to test your patience. But if you
don't mind, can I say that I think the best thing would be to cause ESS
to pop up a new frame in which to display help buffers.  In fact, it
would be better for me if BOTH the R session that ESS launches and the R
help messages were in their own frames. Rcmdr does this and it is pleasant!

I want 2  big full window buffers, one with R and one with the ESS and R
code.  It is a total downer that I have to constantly rearrange buffers.
  If I make a new frame and put the R session in there, then every time
I run a command through ESS (with the execute & go thing) it splits my
code frame and shows R in the other part.  If ESS just had the habit of
writing in its own frame, it would be nicer for me.

And, while I'm at it, here are a couple of other things I notice since
upgrading to the beta version.
1. I find CONTROL-up this thing annoying.  In the R session, start
typing some command, and then realize you forgot the syntax, so do
CONTROL-up to find the command from before.  WHen you do that, the
characters that were typed before CONTROL-up are appended to the end of
the command line, so you can't run the command from before.

2. I wish it were easy to transfer commands that I type into the R
session back into the ESS buffer.  Here's the way I use ESS and R.  In
the R session, I experiment with commands until they work. Since name
completion is available, that's more convenient than typing into ESS
buffer and then running.  When they do what I want, I copy them to the
ESS buffer, so I can save and come  back and run again.  The
highlighting in the R session under ESS makes it frustrating to select
lines.  If there were "copy to pointer location in most recent ESS
buffer" it would be very much more fun.

PJ

Paul E. Johnson                       email: pauljohn at ku.edu
1541 Lilac Lane, Rm 504