ess bets mismanages help output?

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at post.its.mcw.edu
Fri Mar 19 15:50:29 CET 2004

>>   options(htmlhelp = TRUE)
>>
>> or did this stop working ?
>> (for me, help.start() doesn't even work currently with a running
>>  Mozilla, you see how much I use the 'only true' interface ..).
>
>Martin, from Paul's description, here is what I thought happened:
>
>If you do help.start(), then subsequent ?lm  calls appeared in the
>browser.
>
>I know that ESS grabs the ?lm and sends it to R, redirecting the
>output.
>
>But you are suggesting that R will "grab the help and shove it into
>the browser" if that option is set?  (I don't have a browser with Java
>currently running on this laptop, can't test).
>
>best,
>-tony

Hmmm.  options(htmlhelp = TRUE) does nothing for me.  I still get ?lm in an
emacs buffer.  Of course, I'm using help.start(), but Martin seems to be using
something else; what is that?  By the way, is anyone else bothered by the
sporadic highlighting of the 'for's, 'in's, 'switch's, etc. of their output.
Shouldn't just the input be highlighted, i.e. lines that start with '>' or '+'?

Rodney Sparapani              Medical College of Wisconsin
Sr. Biostatistician           Patient Care & Outcomes Research
rsparapa at mcw.edu              http://www.mcw.edu/pcor
Was 'Name That Tune' rigged?  WWLD -- What Would Lombardi Do