XEmacs/ESS problem with ole automation in SPlus and RDCOMClient in R

Richard M. Heiberger rmh at temple.edu
Wed Mar 17 18:26:10 CET 2004

unless XEmacs includes gnuserv or emacsserv,
you probably need to get the gnuserv package

Utilities that work with NTemacs on Windows machines.<BR>
<A HREF="ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/windows/emacs/contrib/gnuserv.zip">gnuserv</A><BR>
<A HREF="ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/windows/emacs/contrib/gnuserv.readme.nt">gnuserv.readme</A><BR>

ddeclient.exe is included with gnu emacs.  I think it will work with xemacs.

If you open Sqpe from the S-Plus Console icon, you will need to run the
library() command to find create.ole.object.  What I am hoping is that it
will give you a useful error message when you attempt to use it.  Most likely
you will get the same freeze that you see when you run Sqpe inside emacs.

I am puzzled as to why you don't get STERM set.  We do that in
essdsp6w.el
the same file that defines the command M-x Sqpe