Why packaging changes? (Re: [ANN]: ESS 5.2.1 is released!

Paul Johnson pauljohn at ku.edu
Tue Jun 29 18:29:57 CEST 2004

Building RPMS for ess-5.2.1

I notice that the patches I had written for Makeconf do not apply
cleanly in 5.2.1 because the directory settings for INFO and LISP have
been changed.  Also I notice the end of make install fails with my
scripts because info and lisp have been relocated under docs.  The html
subdirectory appears to have pre-built html help files, but the info
file is empty. Right?

In any case, a "make" in the docs directory fails because, although it
does build the info files, it can't move the html files it builds into
the html directory.

What's up with that?

In Fedora Core 2 linux, I ran into a maddening texi2html problem. I get
an error trying to build the documentation

making HTML documentation...
texi2html -verbose -iso -split_chapter -menu -glossary ess.texi
Unknown option: glossary
Try 'texi2html -help' for usage instructions.
make: *** [html/ess_toc.html] Error 2

the man page for texi2html says there IS a glossary option.

After removing the Makefile's glossary usage, I run into the problem
that make fails because it can't overwrite the html directory.

# Creating Top in ess.html ...
# writing 94 sections in ess_[1..18]
# writing Footnotes in ess_fot.html...
# writing Toc in ess_toc.html...
# writing Overview in ess_ovr.html...
# writing About in ess_abt.html...
# that's all folks
cp -p ess_toc.html index.html
mv -f *.html html
mv: cannot move `ess_11.html' to `html/ess_11.html': Permission denied
mv: cannot move `ess_13.html' to `html/ess_13.html': Permission denied
mv: cannot move `ess_1.html' to `html/ess_1.html': Permission denied
mv: cannot move `ess_2.html' to `html/ess_2.html': Permission denied
mv: cannot move `ess_4.html' to `html/ess_4.html': Permission denied
mv: cannot move `ess_5.html' to `html/ess_5.html': Permission denied
mv: cannot move `ess_7.html' to `html/ess_7.html': Permission denied
mv: cannot move `ess_8.html' to `html/ess_8.html': Permission denied
mv: cannot move `ess_abt.html' to `html/ess_abt.html': Permission denied
mv: cannot move `ess_fot.html' to `html/ess_fot.html': Permission denied
mv: cannot move `ess.html' to `html/ess.html': Permission denied
mv: cannot move `ess_ovr.html' to `html/ess_ovr.html': Permission denied
mv: cannot move `ess_toc.html' to `html/ess_toc.html': Permission denied
mv: cannot move `index.html' to `html/index.html': Permission denied
make: *** [html/ess_toc.html] Error 1

Paul E. Johnson                       email: pauljohn at ku.edu
1541 Lilac Lane, Rm 504