ess-remote and SAS

Yau, Jason JYau at crai.com
Thu Jul 29 15:48:58 CEST 2004

Does ess-remote still work with SASA? Are the web docs completely out of
date?

I am having trouble getting ess-remote to work with SAS. I am running the
Windows version of emacs and telnetting to a Sun server. I followed the
directions for getting a telnet client that will work with WinEmacs (from a
running in an emacs shell buffer.

I followed the ESS doc directions for ess-remote as follows...
1. I opened my SAS
2. telnetted to the server in a shell buffer
3. Ran sas on the server
4. M-x ess-remote RET SAS

When I finish these steps, the shell buffer goes into iESS mode.

As per the docs, I then go to my file buffer and do C-c i, which is supposed
to send the program invisibly? The output on the shell buffer seems to be
just a new line character, and nothing is outputted - SAS just prints the
next line number as if I had just hit enter.

Any help with this would be much appreciated. I am dying for a better
quality SAS editor, and ESS/Emacs seem to just do the trick, if I can just
figure out execution.

Jason

Jason