Ring the bell

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Fri Jul 16 14:53:53 CEST 2004

This is interesting...  On my WinXPPro laptop with R-1.9.1 from CRAN, Rgui
and Rterm both sound the bell when I simply type cat('\7').  However, in
XEmacs/ESS, I get:

> cat('\7')
^G>

Seems like XEmacs is doing some funny things with R output...

Similar question was asked on S-news a while ago, and a few people suggested
running the Windoze Media player to play a .wav file (!!).  I suppose on a
*nix workstation you can cat a .au file to the /dev/dsp (or whatever device
is appropriate)...

Andy