is it possible to high a block of code?

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Thu Jul 15 03:16:07 CEST 2004

Dear ESS-help,

Just wondering whether anyone know of existence of (X)Emacs tricks that can
somehow hide a block of code?  As an example, suppose I have something like:

if (something happens) {
   do such and such
   then such and such
   ## <hide>
   don't let anyone see such and such
   ## </hide>
   lastly, do such and such
}

I'd like to temporarily hide the part of code in the middle (say, so that I
can see the top and bottom part together on screen).

I seem to recall seeing the program editor in a recent version of SAS on
Windows having such capability (hiding a data step or proc step).  I googled
on the phrase "emacs hide region", and got the following:
http://learn.tsinghua.edu.cn/homepage/2001315450/src/emacs-lisp/hide-region.
el
but it doesn't seem to work for my XEmacs 21.4.13 on WinXPPro.

Any help/hint much appreciated!

Best,
Andy

Andy Liaw, PhD
Biometrics Research      PO Box 2000, RY33-300
Merck Research Labs           Rahway, NJ 07065
mailto:andy_liaw at merck.com        732-594-0820