SV: ESS 5.2.1: ess-toolbar, buffer process issue

Frede Aakmann Tøgersen FredeA.Togersen at agrsci.dk
Thu Jul 1 10:38:03 CEST 2004

Hey

I have seen this too (in ESS 5.2.0 after upgrading from 5.1.24). Experimenting a little I noticed:

1. Starting R from a non-ess-mode buffer it is not possible to close down R with C-c C-q.

2. Starting R from a ess-mode buffer one can close down R with C-c C-q if you execute this from the buffer where you started R. Doing this in any other buffer in ess-mode associated the same inferior R process results in some errors such as "Current buffer has no process" or "Buffer **** is read-only" or ...... (or something like that).

At one point I noticed that when executing C-c C-q the "q()" was not inserted in the buffer holding the inferior R (ESS?) process (usually the buffer with name *R*) but in a buffer not related whatsoever to the *R* buffer.

I suspect that the "connection" between the buffer with inferior R process and the buffer from where you started the process is somehow lost.

I myself am a mere user of ESS and do not know much about lisp so I can't tell where it goes wrong. I'm running GNU Emacs 21.3.1 (i386-msvc-nt5.1.2600) with ESS 5.2.0 and R 1.9.1 on Windows XP.

Hope this helps.

Have a nice day.

Frede Aakmann Tøgersen