Fwd: Re: Newbie start-up problem

Tom Masterson tnm717 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 11 22:24:13 CET 2004

--- "Richard M. Heiberger" <rmh at temple.edu> wrote:
> Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 11:24:53 -0500
> From: "Richard M. Heiberger" <rmh at temple.edu>
> Subject: Re: Newbie start-up problem
> To: Tom Masterson<tnm717 at yahoo.com>
> CC: ess Help List<ess-help at stat.math.ethz.ch>
>
> These are good questions.
>
> Part of The problem is that you have the operating
> system environment variable HOME set incorrectly
> and in the wrong place.
>
> 1.  HOME is intended to be you, corresponding to the
> unix /usr/users/tnm, it is not emacs.

it's a fair cop, but getting it 'right' won't fix this

problem.

> 2. You need to set HOME at the DOS level, not in
> emacs.

in autoexec.bat, where I have it, right?

[snip]
> Now back to your questions.
>
> You have (load
"C:/progra~1/emacs/ess-5.1.24/lisp/ess-site.el")
> and get the message
> "Cannot open load file: ess-site"
>
> This suggests to me that the path is not specified
> correctly. Do a C-x d to find it.  It might actually

> be something like
> (load
> "C:/progra~1/emacs/ess-5.1.24/ess/lisp/ess-site.el")

see Stephen's reply, below.

/anonymous at ftp.gnu.org:/gnu/windows/emacs/21.3/emacs-21.3-fullbin-i386.tar.gz

/anonymous at ftp.club.cc.cmu.edu:/gnu/windows/emacs/21.3/emacs-21.3-fullbin-i386.tar.gz