[ESS] Does anyone use M-x ess-create-object-name-db?

Stephen Eglen S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Wed Dec 22 11:48:43 CET 2004

As hopefully most of you know, ESS offers completion facilities within
inferior ESS buffers, e.g. in *R*, you can hit TAB to get a list of
completing symbols.  This is mostly done dynamically, and is fast
enough on modern computers.

However, ESS still has an older facility, whereby you create a
database file of completions.  This is an optional step during
installation of ESS (mentioned below).  If this facility is no longer
needed, we can clean up the code and documentation of ESS a bit.

Before doing this though, I'd like to check whether people still use
this static facility.

Thanks,
Stephen

  7. (OPTIONAL) If you are running S-PLUS or R, you might consider
     installing the database files.  From within emacs, `C-x d' to the
     directory containing ESS.  Now:
          M-x S+6
     to get S running.  Once you see the SPLUS prompt, do:
          M-x ess-create-object-name-db
     (this will create the file `ess-s+6-namedb.el'; if it isn't in the
     ESS directory, move it there).

     Then, completions will be autoloaded and will not be regenerated
     for every session.

     For R, do the same, using
          M-x R
     and then `M-x ess-create-object-name-db' creating
     `ess-r-namedb.el'; if it isn't in the ESS directory, move it
     there).