R: [ESS] on "Check inferior-ess-prompt or ess-loop-timeout"

8rino-Luca Pantani ottorino-luca.pantani at unifi.it
Wed Dec 15 19:00:35 CET 2004

>Before I attempt to follow what you did, please try again with John Fox's
>current recommendations.  His original suggestion to put *scratch*
>in R-mode goes against the standard emacs settings where *scratch*
>is always in Lisp Interaction Mode.

I removed that line,
(if scratch-in-S-mode (R-mode))
but without effect

I'm very sorry to disturb you all again with my problem,
but I'm still into high waters, and near to a frustrating desperation.

In an attempt to improve things I've also upgraded my laptop
with the maximum RAM available (192 max).

Conditions are as follows
Win98
XEmacs-21.4.13
ESS 5.1.21
init.el file for ess + Xemacs under MS Windows
John Fox 10 June 2004      Version 0.5.6
R 1.9.1
and I would like to stick to them.
I tried also ESS 5.2.2, but the problem persists.

I start xemacs with the -q option
and evaluate it line by line

When I reach the lines

(setq win1 (selected-window))  ; win1 is on top
(setq win2 (split-window)) ; win2 is on the bottom
(select-window win2)
(R) ; start R in win2 -- assumes that the R bin directory is on the path
(if dedicated-R-window (set-window-dedicated-p win2 t)) ; window win2
dedicated to R process

instead of starting R in the bottom window,
it starts in the upper one, and so the message

<Timeout waiting for prompt. Check inferior-ess-prompt or ess-loop-timeout>

appears in the echo area.

So I modified the init.el as follows:

(setq win1 (selected-window))  ; win1 is on top
(setq win2 (split-window)) ; win2 is on the bottom
(select-window win2)
(select-window win1)
(R) ; start R in win2 -- assumes that the R bin directory is on the path
(if dedicated-R-window (set-window-dedicated-p win2 t)) ; window win2
dedicated to R process

Even if I still get the message in the echo area, everything seems to work
properly
with R in the lower window.
Then I evaluate the rest of the init.el and start my R session.

Regrettably, if I open the init.el and evaluate it manually as a whole
buffer,
xemacs enter a loop and starts R, R2, R3, R4,.... until stopped with the
task manager.

Moreover if I start Xemacs without the -q options and the modified
init.el, I get the usual warning in the upper window.

Looks like is necessary to break the init file into two pieces.