R: R: .Rhistory and Rinit.el (now installation of ESS 5.2.2)

8rino-Luca Pantani ottorino-luca.pantani at unifi.it
Tue Aug 31 18:58:51 CEST 2004

Hi all,
first of all thanks for your prompt answer, I appreciate it a lot;
and sorry for the delay in my feedback,
but there was some work to be done in the lab.

Well, back to computer, I followed the suggestions
given by Richard (reported below) and these are the results

If I start Xemacs with -q -no-site-file
and then start manually ess with
___(load "c:/Programmi/Emacs/ess-5.2.2/lisp/ess-site")
from the scratch buffer, I do not get the warnings,
but obviously all the buttons are different from before

If I start xemacs removing -q
and with the init.el with the following lines
___(load "c:/Programmi/Emacs/ess-5.2.2/lisp/ess-site")
___;(require 'ess-site) ; load ess
___(setq ess-ask-for-ess-directory nil) ; do not prompt for directory
the warnings reappear.
What should I do now?

>To confirm that ESS is installed correctly, start emacs with
>emacs -q --no-site-file
>I think the xemacs startup without any initialization
>is the same, but I am not totally sure.
>Then manually load ESS from the *scratch* buffer with
>  (load "c:/Programmi/Emacs/ess-5.2.2/lisp/ess-site.el")
>This will confirm that ESS works correctly.

Thanks again