how to 'block' the prompt

David Brahm brahm at alum.mit.edu
Fri Aug 20 01:02:02 CEST 2004

Sebastian Luque <sluque at mun.ca> wrote:
> what exactly is the character between the double quotes in that line 5?

It is a Control-A (^A), which you can insert in a file using ^Q^A in Emacs.  My
apologies for sending mail with a control character embedded in it, though.
This ought to work equally well, and uses only printable ascii:

(eval-after-load "comint" '(progn
  (setq comint-scroll-to-bottom-on-output 'others)
  (define-key comint-mode-map [up] 'comint-previous-matching-input-from-input)
  (define-key comint-mode-map [down] 'comint-next-matching-input-from-input)
  (define-key comint-mode-map "\C-a" 'comint-bol-or-process-mark) )
)

Again, all glory goes to Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch>.  As an
added note, I think Martin also has this line inside his structure:
  (setq comint-scroll-show-maximum-output t)
which forces the prompt always to the bottom of the S window, but I don't like
it because I find it too jumpy.
--
                              -- David Brahm (brahm at alum.mit.edu)