how to 'block' the prompt

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Aug 19 10:14:33 CEST 2004

    tony> XEmacs does the "right" thing -- the prompt issue is one
    tony> incompatibility that we definitely need to fix (have either of you
    tony> noticed it, Stephen or Martin?)

I can confirm it. "Notice" is too hard a word, since I've used
ESS so long and my finger and eyes probably automatically always
work around it :-)

Martin

    tony> Sebastian Luque <sluque at mun.ca> writes:

    >> Dear List,
    >>
    >> I haven't found help in the documentation or in ESS archives regarding the
    >> following. I'd like to be able to have the R prompt be unerasable while
    >> working on Emacs (21.3.1) + ESS (5.2.2) (Debian Linux). Sometimes I
    >> accidentally erase the prompt and I'm forced to press <return> to get it back
    >> and keep typing commands. In other words, I would like to have a prompt that
    >> behaves like that from R when it's run in a shell. I'm not sure this is
    >> something that is controlled from ESS, or from some other Emacs setting, as
    >> I've seen similar behaviour when running eshell, for instance.
    >>
    >> If this can be configured somehow, can one still select the prompt for
    >> copying/pasting into other buffers?
    >>
    >> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >> Best
    >> Sebastian

    tony> --
    tony> Anthony Rossini			    Research Associate Professor
    tony> rossini at u.washington.edu            http://www.analytics.washington.edu/
    tony> Biomedical and Health Informatics   University of Washington
    tony> Biostatistics, SCHARP/HVTN          Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
    tony> UW (Tu/Th/F): 206-616-7630 FAX=206-543-3461 | Voicemail is unreliable
    tony> FHCRC  (M/W): 206-667-7025 FAX=206-667-4812 | use Email

    tony> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachme...{{dropped}}